Buildings Insurance For Your Home

Covering the cost of repairing damage to your home’s structure​


What Is Buildings Insurance?

If you have a mortgage, your lender will usually insist that your property (and their security) is protected by buildings insurance. It usually covers your property against loss or damage from many causes, including but not limited to; fire, flood or subsidence. Damage to fixed sanitaryware forming part of the building, as well as domestic outbuildings such as sheds, greenhouses and garages.

If you purchase a leasehold property (such as a flat in a block of flats) the freeholder may have arranged buildings insurance for the whole block, in which case you may not need your own buildings policy.

What Is Covered?

The standard cover through Legal & General includes up to £800,000 rebuilding costs provided the property is a house or bungalow, is of standard construction, built after 1849 and has no more than 5 bedrooms. If your property does not meet this criteria we may still offer insurance through Legal and General’s “Select” option, which is tailored to customers with properties of six or more bedrooms. Your adviser will be able to give you further information about this product.  In the event of a claim, you pay the first £100 for each and every claim or in the event of escape of water, an excess of £250, or in the case of subsidence, heave or landslip an excess of £1,000. Your belongings are not covered – these need to be covered separately with contents insurance – see Contents insurance.

Home Emergency Cover of up to £500 is also included as standard to cover certain call out fees, labour and materials, to help to make your home secure following an emergency such as a burst pipe.

Keeping Costs Down

If you have held buildings insurance before and have not claimed on the policy then you might qualify for a no claims discount.

More Information

This is only a summary of cover.  Limitations and exclusions apply.  Please see the Home Insurance Choices Policy Booklet for full details, this is available on request.

For insurance business we arrange policies exclusively from Legal & General

Have a Question?

If you’re a home owner with a mortgage, buildings insurance is essential. Why not get in touch for award-winning, no-jargon advice?

  • Check to consent us to store this information so we can respond to your query. Your information will be used strictly in accordance with our privacy policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Get in Touch

You can give us a call, drop us an email, use our contact form, or pop in to any of our branches. We look forward to helping you soon!

0333 3208 300