Home insurance designed for the owners of rental properties
Landlords insurance for buildings and contents includes as standard:
- loss or damage arising as a result of fire, storm, flood, falling trees, theft, malicious acts or vandalism
- Up to £40,000 for your loss of rent or for providing alternative accommodation for the tenant following damage caused by an insured event.
- legal liability as owner of the buildings for causing injury to others or for damage to their property up to £2,000,000 for any one claim
- home emergency cover – with Legal & General’s buildings insurance you get up to £500 home emergency cover for call out fees, labour costs and materials to make the home safe after an emergency such as a burst pipe or break in. This cover is provided by AXA Assistance (UK) Limited.
Contents only cover is only available in circumstances where the building is tied to another insurer, such as in the case of a leasehold flat.
High risk property such as TV’s, pictures works of art and clocks or property belonging to, or the responsibility of, the tenant aren’t covered.
In the event of a claim, you pay a policy excess of:
£100 for each and every claim; or
£250 in the event of escape of water, and (if chosen) accidental damage or malicious damage by tenants
£1,000 or in the case of subsidence, heave or landslip
Landlords Insurance additional cover options
With Legal & General’s Landlords Insurance, you can tailor your policy with the following optional cover:
- buildings accidental damage and malicious damage by tenants to cover you for incidents such as banging a nail through a pipe or putting a foot through the ceiling whilst in the loft and malicious damage by your tenants.
- contents accidental damage and malicious damage by tenants so you don’t have to worry about things such as spills on carpets and malicious damage by your tenants.
- legal expenses, rent guarantee and eviction of squatters cover insures you for irrecoverable costs and fees to pursue or defend claims involving breach of tenancy agreement and unpaid rent in excess of one month and up to 12 months. The maximum amount payable for legal expenses and unpaid rent in any 12 month period of cover is £50,000. Claims are handled on Legal & General’s behalf by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited
Please note that Landlords Insurance is designed to cover certain unforeseen events and doesn’t cover everything. It does not cover things like general wear and tear or damage that happens gradually over a period of time. There is also an excess on each claim.
This is only a summary of cover. Limitations and exclusions apply. Please see the Landlords Insurance Policy Booklet for full details, this is available on request.
Cover is not available for homes let to housing associations, local authorities, asylum seekers, refugees or students, holiday homes or for properties in Northern Ireland.
For insurance business we arrange policies exclusively from Legal & General.
Have a Question?
If you’re a landlord and would like access to award-winning, no-jargon advice and the most competitive insurance deals on the market, why not get in touch?